Tuesday, July 23, 2013

10 things I want my daughter to know today!

So....I had the worst dream of my life last night and it has me thinking. It was about me losing my little girl to Jesus and telling myself the whole time "did I tell her everything I wanted to when she was here?" "did I give her enough love?" "could I have done something to save her?"....yes, this was a dream, but it must mean something. Maybe I haven't told you all the things you need to know that I should have told you a long time ago. Today I decided to take a time out and compile a list of things I think you need to hear from your mother. As you know, I did not have a mother who told me these things, but I don't want to be that mother.

1. Friendship and popularity are not created equal:
I know you want to be accepted by all, who doesn't? Choose your friends wisely. Create a mental list of what you'd expect a friend to be and how you want to be treated. Now go find people like that! It's much better to only have 5 great friends than it is to have 20 friends who know nothing about you or hold any of the qualities you possess. Yes, I will get to know all your friends and their parents, I will have my opinion, but this is because I care about you and don't want to see you hurt.

2. Believe in your hopes, dreams and aspirations:
I believe in you 100%. I am your #1 fan. I will cheer you on and get you where you need/want to be, but you must believe in yourself first. You really can be anything you want to be as long as you put forth the effort and determination. I will support all your dreams!

3. You are not me, nor do I want you to be:
Yes, we are alike in so many ways, but you are your own person. I'll always be here for you no matter what. I want you to know it's okay to be your own person with your own beliefs and thoughts. This will make you stronger.

4. You are so beautiful:
I know I tell you this over and over and over. I remember when you were a baby and just the most beautiful little person to me. Now you are becoming a beautiful young woman and you are still the most beautiful little person to me. But not just for your outer beauty, but you have such amazing inner beauty. Don't let anyone steal that away from you. Let you inner/outer beauty shine!

5. I value your opinion and so do others:
You are old enough to have a point of view and though sometimes we may not see eye to eye on that view...I still need to hear it. Those who love you will not judge you. Don't shy away from expressing yourself because it's what helps you grow.

6. Share your passion with the world:
Whether you like to play with dolls, draw pictures, sleep with a stuffy or listen to music someone else doesn't like...who cares. Anyone who teases you for doing what you love, is not a true friend. Thrive on your passions because without them, you have nothing.

7. You love us, but it's not your job to keep us happy:
Not me, not daddy and not your friends. You are the only person you need to make happy. Be yourself.

8. It doesn't mean it's about you:
What I mean by this is that when people act in a way that hurts you, makes you feel insecure or betrays your trust...it's most certainly not about you. It's about them. When people feel bad about themselves on the inside, they can portray that in their behaviors towards you. It helps to remember that most people are dealing with their own demons and don't mean to hurt you, but it does happen. Just move on!

9. I am trying my best with what I was given:
I know I'm inpatient, I upset easily, get frustrated and sad and it may feel like you disappoint me, but the truth is...you're my greatest accomplishment. You make me so proud to be your mom. I wasn't given the tools I needed to know how to raise a child nor was I given a handbook, but I am learning as we both grow. I will always do what I feel is in the best interest for you. Just know that I love you and the rest will all fall into place.

10. HAVE FUN:
This one is pretty self explanatory. You have 1 life to live and it's short, so make the best of it. I know that sounds pretty cliché, but every moment counts. Have fun, eat good food, exercise, be with great friends, love your mom and dad and most importantly BE HAPPY.















1 comment:

  1. Couldn't have said it better! I would have shared similar words with you if I had been able. you have come through many bad "storms" and yet you move on. you have taken your struggles and learned from them on how to be a parent. Not everyone does that. As you said in your list only you are responsible for your happiness. don't forget how to have fun! Love you!

    ReplyDelete